Bruny Island was first sighted by Abel Tasman in 1642. Bruny Island takes its name from Rear Admiral Bruni d'Entrecasteaux who dropped anchor off the coast of Bruny Island in 1792-93. Bruny Island is of national significance in the European exploration of the southern seas. Captains Furneaux, Flinders, Cook and Bligh all anchored in Bruny Island's Adventure Bay which takes its name from Furneaux's ship.
The Bligh Museum of Pacific Exploration at Adventure Bay http://www.brunyisland.net.au/Adventure_Bay/blighmuseum.html and the Alonnah History Rooms are open to the public daily http://www.brunyisland.net.au/Alonnah/historyroom.html .
Take a walk out to Variety Bay on open days or follow the walking track to Grassy Point to see the site of one of Bruny Island's ex whaling stations and find out about the whaling history from the information boards along the way http://www.brunyisland.net.au/Walks/brunywalks.html.
For more information about Bruny Island http://brunyisland.net.au/
Historic Cape Bruny Lighthouse. Check out this link for more information about the Cape Bruny Light station http://www.brunyisland.net.au/Cape_Bruny/Lightstation/lighthouse.html
View from the Cape Bruny Lighthouse.
Cape Bruny Lighthouse lamp